Blog Background

Friday, July 16, 2010

Homeschool Curriculum 2010/2011

I am excited to say that I have chosen the school curriculum that we will be using next year and purchased most of it!!
For Math the girls will be using Math-U-See. They surprised me on their tests so I need to retest them to determine which levels to put them in. I already have Epsilon, fraction templates, and skip counting song cd.
The rest of our curriculum I purchased at the most wonderful store! Heppner's Legacy is a homeschool store in Elk River, Minnesota. If you homeschool, I highly recommend visiting this store or check out their website at http://www.legacyhomeschool.com/ Nancy, who helped me when I was there, is extremely knowledgeable and so helpful.

For World History/Social Studies we will be utilizing a unit study: The Story of the World. I also purchased The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia for reference (or reading :-0).

For Science we will be utilizing another unit study: Exploring Creation, Flying Creatures. This book comes with a website and password for materials and cross reference sites, etc. A good choice for Arizona as our flying creatures won't leave us for the winter like they do in Minnesota.. ;-)

For Language Arts Butterscotch Chip will use Jump In with teacher help from The Lifeguard's Locker both by Apologia. She still needs to pick 2-4 Progeny Press study guides that I will pick up next week.

Oreo Cookie will use Wordsmith Apprentice for Language Arts with teacher help from You Can Teach Your Child Successfully by Ruth Beechick (a perfect gift from my awesome neighbor, Thanks Mrs. Taffy!)
 
Little Miss Chocolate Chip Cookie will be using Plaid Phonics for Language Arts and The Three R's by Ruth Beechick for teacher guidance.

All three girls will also start a book list to keep track of the books they have read.


I have selected a few Character Building titles. We will also be playing games like Quiddler, Mastermind, Apples to Apples, Cribbage, etc. I also picked up some really neat dice that have a die inside a die and 10 sided dice for misc. math games.

For Phy. Ed we will be learning how to swim! Fun, Fun, Fun!!!
I have some e-books from TOS that I need to figure out yet and I am also hoping to learn and teach some Spanish this year... trying to keep it simple though with a fresh baked Cookie, moving to a new state, starting homeschool... I am just sooo excited it is hard to contain the endless ideas of stuff to teach my sweet people and to learn myself... I am so blessed!

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you! You made great choices! Your girls and you are going to LOVE it! I haven't been to Heppner's but my sis-in-law, goes there often and loves it! I should check it out!

    So happy for you! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete